Welcome To My Creative Journey- The Next Half Century

WELCOME TO MY CREATIVE JOURNEY - The Next Half Century
From knitting to cooking, jewelry making to painting, gardening to journaling, I love it all and would love for you to share it with me

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Focaccia and Picnik

Vintage Focaccia with picnik.com
Here is another picture I altered on picnik.com. I used the vintage option because the stone bakeware and cutting board reminded me of the 60's. But the best part is the recipe from Martha Stewart, that I use for my FOCACCIA bread. I have been using this same recipe for many years and love it.  It's also great for pizza crusts. The only changes I've made over the last couple of years is I use

ROBIN HOOD'S BEST FOR BREAD flours.

And Since my family does not want to eat any white bread these days, I found using the Whole Wheat variety very successful. The wonderful thing about this flour is it always rises. I'm not sure about the science of it, but it is different than your typical flours (t's on my list of things to read up on).

Robin Hood best for bread whole wheat
Here's the recipe.............

recipe from marthastewart.com

Ingredients

  • 1 pinch sugar
  • 2 3/4 cups warm water, 100 degrees to 110 degrees
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for bowl, baking sheet, and drizzling
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling
  • Fresh rosemary (optional)

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, stir sugar into 1/4 cup of the water, and sprinkle in yeast. Stir well; let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water and the olive oil, and mix well. Add flour a cup at a time, mixing well. Add salt, and knead dough until smooth and elastic, 4 to 5 minutes in an electric mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment, or 8 to 10 minutes by hand.
  3. Form dough into a ball, and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  4. Spread dough evenly onto an oiled baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel, and let rise for 30 minutes.
  5. Dimple surface of dough with your fingertips, leaving deep indentations. Cover with towel again, and let rise until doubled, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  6. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle oil on top of dough, allowing dimples to fill. Gently spread oil over surface without deflating dough. Brush lightly with water, then sprinkle with salt and rosemary, if desired.
  7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and slide onto a wire rack. Serve as soon as possible.
    Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! We all love focaccia - I have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now look what you gone and done Carol! LOL I will have to test this out...and I'm hungry at my 1:45am!!
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I LOVE focaccia!! thanks for sharing your lovely recipe!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your kind words!!

    XXX rena

    ReplyDelete